The University of Michigan has a unique role in the global sustainable computing effort with over 137,000 computers on campus. With the new implementation of MiWorkspace on University computers, MiWorkspace is not only enhancing the technology environment on our campus, but has also made efforts to improve environmental sustainability. On an individual level there are even more computing best practices that you can implement to reduce your impact on the environment.
MiWorkspace Sustainable Computing Best Practices
Below is a list of ways that you can engage in Sustainable Computing practices while operating within MiWorkspace:
- The power settings set on MiWorkspace computers already save energy by following EPA guidelines, but you can decrease your energy use even further by choosing the “Power saver” option on a Windows computer or dialing down your settings on a Macintosh.
- Use M+Box or M+Google to store your files in the cloud as an efficient sustainable computing practice. These services allow you to access files you create on your MiWorkspace computer anytime, anyplace and from many devices with an Internet connection. Using these services provides additional sustainable benefits:
- You can collaborate with others remotely, reducing the need to travel - reducing fuel consumption and saving time and money.
- You can reduce your paper use and printing costs by sharing documents electronically, instead of printing and distributing them.
- Find more tips on Desktop Computing Environment Best Practices.
- Take advantage of the MiWorkspace printing feature, Follow Me, which enables secure, stress-free and sustainable printing. After sending your print job to the Follow Me queue the on-demand printing feature will allow you to store and then release your document(s) at the MiWorkspace multifunction printer of your choice (including those in the ubiquitous Campus Computing Sites) with the swipe of your Mcard. If you don’t retrieve the document, it’s never printed. Saving paper and keeping your files safe from prying eyes. See more on Reconsidering Printing.
- Track the environmental impact of your MiWorkspace printing by accessing your personal Printing Impact page at http://accounts.miprint.it.umich.edu/
- Utilize MiWorkspace’s efficient, energy-saving capabilities by using the Stay Awake option on Windows computers. With Stay Awake, you can easily keep your machine awake for up to four hours while giving a presentation, with no extra effort of adjusting power settings. Since these settings are temporary, you don’t need to remember to reset them when you’re done. See more on Managing Your Power.
More ways MiWorkspace promotes Sustainable Computing
In addition to its features that you use every day, MiWorkspace is doing environmentally sustainable work behind the scenes.
- Power save settings are automatically set on MiWorkspace computers, conserving energy when devices are not in use.
- Patches and updates are applied when available, eliminating the need to keep computers on all night.
- Personal printers have been consolidated into departmental multi-functional devices to reducing the number of printers consuming power and generating electronic waste.
- Request departmental printing reports from the ITS Service Center to monitor your department's printing usage.
- Shared printers are configured to print double-sided by default, unless requested otherwise, to save paper.