Electronic devices have become essential tools in our everyday lives, however, it is important to remember that every step of your device’s life, from mining and manufacturing to usage and disposal, affects the natural environment. Learning how to reduce your impact on the environment when it comes to your electronics is necessary for living sustainable life. Sustainable Computing has partnered with Computer Showcase to help you make informed decisions about your next purchase and assist you in disposing of your old device properly.
Looking for a New Device? Buy Smart
- Before buying a new device, check the Computer Showcase Catalog for items that are listed with ENERGY STAR and EPEAT ratings. Electronics with these labels are certified as being energy efficient and are manufactured through regulated sustainable processes. Below is an example of some of the sustainable features offered by a product at Computer Showcase.
MacBook Air is designed with the following features to reduce its environmental impact:
- Highly recyclable aluminum and glass enclosure
- Mercury-free LED-backlit display
- Arsenic-free glass
- Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
- Rated EPEAT Gold
- Using power strips can help you conserve electricity by acting as central turn-off points for all of your electronic devices. Check out what surge protectors are available at Computer Showcase.
- Need a new charger or adapter for your current device? See the Computer Showcase offerings for batteries and power adapters and remember to unplug these electronics when not in use as they still pull energy even if your device is not plugged in. Read more on reducing power usage.
Disposing of Old Devices? Reuse and Recycle